Monday 30th July 2012
The Metropolitan Police has released the following information to be circulated by London LSCBs:
During the improved weather there have been some further incidents. Missing window locks feature in some cases, but most relate to open windows, where the child has climbed up using objects below the window. The following advice is given:
- fit window locks or safety catches to stop windows opening more than 6.5 cm (2.5 inches) – this should stop children being able to squeeze through
- move furniture like beds and chairs away from windows to stop children climbing up and falling out
- keep younger children away from balconies unless you are with them
- keep balcony doors locked when not in use
- to make sure children are safe, there should be a barrier at least 110 cm (43 inches) high around the edge of the balcony
- if the gaps between the upright railings are more than 6.5 cm (2.5 inches), board them up.
Sutton CVS and the Sutton LSCB have worked together to produce the 'Safeguarding children and young people in Sutton: Guidance for Voluntary & Community Organisations, Faith Groups & Supplementary Schools'. http://www.suttonlscb.org.uk/vsfg_files.php
Visit the Safe Network - safe activities for everyone.
For an update the Sutton Safeguarding Week June 2012 and how Sutton CVS are engaging with community and faith groups, as well as supplementary schools, go to: http://www.suttonlscb.org.uk/practitioners_files.php